Sunday, September 4, 2016

First Week

August 25th through September 1st

I have been in Croatia a full 7 days. And what a full 7 days. I love it here so much. Its not as humid and not as many mosquitoes as back home. I am so happy to be in this cute town. I am weirdly so comfortable here. Like I forget that I am in another country with people I just met. But when I do remember that I am on exchange, I cant stop myself from smiling. It comes at random times. Like when I am hanging out with my host mom and dad. Or when I am lip syncing to my playlist in the bathroom mirror before I go to bed. The food is great and so different. My host dad is a wonderful cook. My host mom said she would probably starve without him, and I agree with her. The first couple days I had soup with all of my meals but around the 5th or 6th day the soup stopped and I have not had any since. The meals mainly consist of some meat, bread, and tomatoes. I am going to come back to the USA eating tomatoes like apples.What I still haven't got used to, is the cabinet smells. One of the bathroom cabinets smells like lime and nutmeg, the others I have not placed the smell yet. The fridge smells like peppers and slight alcohol and maybe some milk products. I haven't gotten used to that smell either. Every time I open the fridge door I am knocked back by that strong fragrance. Hopefully by October I wont have to brace myself every time I go to get the butter. I have met so many great people so far. I have met all three host families and the inbounds. Elliot from Canada lives with Mario and his wife Bianica and their son Marko. They have a daughter named Emma who is in Minnesota for her exchange. Both of their English is good, the wife more than the husband. Aza, the boy from Tennessee, lives with Pero and Nevenka and his host brother Luka. The parents dont speak English and his Croatian is terrible so he has been using Google Translate to talk with them. They have a daughter in Canada for exchange. Aza has basically taken her place. He will be in her old class and hangs out with her friends and such. I have met some of the neighbors. There is a little old man who lives across the hall from me and one floor up there is a mom and two daughters that I will have to babysit sometimes. But they are so cute and eat a lot. I also met some kids from my class. They usually hang out at this cafe called Fort Pub that is a two minute walk from our school. They all seem so great and nice and I can not wait to know them better. All in all, everything has been so wonderful and new and there is no where I'd rather be.

My third day I met and biked around town with Elliot. My fourth day I met and swam/walked with Aza. My fifth day, was the first day I rode a tram and I had no problems with my Croatiam. I met and hung out with kids from my class at Fort Pub. My sixth day I walked to the mall, then had a Rotary meeting. After the meeting I took a walk with Aza and Luka to the East side of the city. My seventh day I went to school for a tour, which didnt last long cause its a small school. I went to the local library and got a card and checked out some Croatian poetry books, went out for coffee with Aza, Petra and some of their classmates. I got my Tram card with is great cause I've been having some problems with my bike. Like it being too big for me so I fall off of it a lot, I also got a flat tire that day. So very fun filled, and a great week.












































No comments:

Post a Comment